Hi! Thank you for stopping by today! My name is Bronwyn. I am a follower of Jesus, wife of a Marine, and mother of 2 autistic boys. We have been a homeschooling family for going on 7 years now and loving it! I also love to read, cook, bake, and walk.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Sunday Evening

I am blogging early tonight as it seems I have actually been deserted.  My husband has been feeling under the weather all day so he is in bed and ds12 started feeling sick also sometime this afternoon so he is in bed.  Ds11 wants his space and even our puppy is sleeping.  So it's just me, the computer, and the last cup of coffee from the pot.  I baked cookies today and when I am in the kitchen too long I tend to drink too much coffee.  I baked four dozed oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies today.  I made two dozen for us at home and two dozen for my husband to take to work to share with his Marines.  If you ever want someone to appreciate your baking all you have to do is bake for a bunch of young men away from their moms. 

Here is a picture of some of my cookies.

Don't they look yummy? Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients
  1 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, walnuts, and chocolate chunks. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

They turned out really well. 

I am looking forward to this week as it is only a four day week and also we can do some fun crafts for Easter.  I will make sure and post pictures of what we make.  We are also working at finishing up the things we are currently working on as we will be taking a short break in May to do achievement testing.  We do the California Achievement Tests.  It is not an enjoyable process but the state requires we do them once a year.  Ds12 usually does very well although it is a stretch for him to concentrate for that long.  Last year he scored at the 10th grade level for math.  For ds11 it is not really accurate because he can't really communicate all he knows but we do what we must to continue to have the freedom to educate our family at home.

As for the rest of tonight I am going to finish here and see if I can squeeze in some reading.  I am reading King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard.  Actually I have been reading it for quite some time.  I was reading a bunch while my hubby was deployed but don't seem to have much time now.  It is a good book though and just last week I found out they actually made a movie based on the book.  I will have to check that out some time but not until I have finished reading it.   Other than that as always I am hoping for a good night sleep.

Take care and see you here again tomorrow!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails