Hi! Thank you for stopping by today! My name is Bronwyn. I am a follower of Jesus, wife of a Marine, and mother of 2 autistic boys. We have been a homeschooling family for going on 7 years now and loving it! I also love to read, cook, bake, and walk.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Scratch Art

A couple of weeks ago I had purchased some small scratch art pictures from our local Dollar General to put into Tyler's workboxes.  I thought he might enjoy something different and he could work a little on his fine motor skills.  Here is what they looked like.

He enjoyed them so much!  My husband and I were talking about how we both had done scratch art in school so I started looking around for directions how to make our own.  I found instructions in a book I just love.  It is called How to Teach Art to Children and is published by Evan-Moor.  I highly recommend it. 

The first thing we did was to color a piece of white construction paper.  You need to cover the entire paper leaving no empty spots and the darker you color the better.  Ours looked like this: And:

The next thing you do is to mix a little bit of dishwashing detergent with black tempera paint.

Then you paint over your entire picture.

When your picture dries completely (our took about two hours) you can take something sharp (we used a bamboo skewer) and scratch your picture.

I made one for Christian thinking he might enjoy the scratching part also but he didn't.  I used his paper to make one for him.  Try to ignore my lack of artistic ability on this one.  Thanks!

It was a lot of fun and super easy.  I am sure we will be doing this again. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails