Hi! Thank you for stopping by today! My name is Bronwyn. I am a follower of Jesus, wife of a Marine, and mother of 2 autistic boys. We have been a homeschooling family for going on 7 years now and loving it! I also love to read, cook, bake, and walk.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

Either if you are hoping for an early spring or looking forward to more winter fun I hope you have a happy Groundhog Day!
I think Groundhog Day is kind of a fun tradition.  We like to watch Punxsutawney Phil make his prediction every year.  We also like to look at the Groundhog Day website.  There are lots of fun things to explore with the kids there.  I think this is a good time to discuss the weather and the field of meteorology.  I just found out that only 39% of the time the Groundhog Day prediction actually becomes true.  Not much worse than the regular weather people I suppose. LOL  It is also a fun time to talk about and play with shadows.
There are some great books for children about Goundhog Day.  Our favorite is A Garden For Groundhog.
 
We have had this book since our boys were tiny and still enjoy it every year.  It is a funny story of how the farmer tries to outsmart the groundhog and stop him from eating all his vegetables. 
Tomorrow I am planning on doing some shadow matching activities with Christian.  I found this one this evening and even though it is for the book Brown Bear Brown Bear I think it will work well for him.
For Tyler I created a worksheet because I know he won't want to be left out.
I think we will have a fun Groundhog Day and I hope you do too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails