Hi! Thank you for stopping by today! My name is Bronwyn. I am a follower of Jesus, wife of a Marine, and mother of 2 autistic boys. We have been a homeschooling family for going on 7 years now and loving it! I also love to read, cook, bake, and walk.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer School

Today was our last day of school for this school year...sort of.   We actually homeschool year round but we are taking a small break for about two weeks because my parents are coming to visit for a week and then we need about a week after that to get everyone back on track.  Christians schedule is pretty much the same every day  whatever time of the year it is as working with him is a constant.  Tyler's schedule will be slightly different during the summer as there are a couple of areas I want to cover with more intensity and other subjects that I know he is doing great on and can take a small break from.   Tyler has been studying Shakespeare for the last couple of weeks and absolutely loves it. Who knew?!  That really deserves a post of it's own though because we have done a lot and hope to do much more after our break.  Along with studying Shakespeare I also wanted to do Creation Geology from Media Angels with him.  I have had the curriculum for this for quite some time and it is one of those things that always gets put off and so I am determined to cover it this summer.  It is also nice because it covers the flood and fossils which coincides with the history we will be doing in the fall.  The other thing I will be working on with Tyler this summer is his writing.  I have been teaching him some outlining skills and that has allowed him to start constructing better paragraphs but he could definitely use more practice.  He can narrate well what he has learned but has a hard time organizing it into a more organized format when he writes it out.  The final thing I want to focus on with both of my boys this summer is something I feel we have been neglecting.  I have been longing to do nature studies for forever but unfortunately that is another area that often gets pushed aside.  I have been reading the Handbook of Nature Study blog for awhile now and so I finally decided that we would try out one of her Outdoor Hour Challenge ebooks.  I downloaded the summer one today and it looks great and adaptable to fit both kids.  I like the fact that it doesn't look so time consuming that we are likely not to do it.  I already have The Handbook of Nature Study by A. Comstock in the house so that helps too.  
So that is the plan here for summer school.  Tim is still recovering from foot surgery but we are also hoping and praying that he will be able to get around a little better soon and we can spend some time at the beach.  Christian especially enjoys the beach!  I would also like to do more geocaching this summer. All that will have to wait though until Tim is able to do more walking.  Family outings here go much more smoothly with two parents.  :)
I hope everyone whether taking a summer break or homeschooling straight through has a wonderful summer!

8 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hope Tim recovers soon! Am jealous, though, as D refuses to go on outings and am unable to do six at once. Just beyond me. I can take one or two at a time... not six.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

PS I forgot to tell you that I thought your new look was very cute! I hadn't seen this layout anywhere else, so I am guessing you had a blog designer in to redo the place. :)

PPS Still using AlphaSmart when we do writing. Emperor has some new posts up I transferred onto his blog.

Bronwyn said...

Mrs. C,
Thank you for the compliment on the blog! I actually did the layout myself. It took a while so I think I am going to leave it this way now. Glad you like it!
I am glad Emperor is still doing well with the AlphaSmart. I will have to check out his blog and see what he wrote.
Blessings,
Bronwyn

Lizzie said...

Sounds like a grand plan. We do school "lite" through the summer too. Hope you have a great visit with your family.

Unknown said...

Looks like a good plan. This is the first year that we will be schooling year round with a lighter schedule through the summer. We recently started putting more time in to nature studies also and are really enjoying it.
Blessings
Diane

Anonymous said...

Bronwyn, don't forget that HIS KIDS are meeting at Onslow Beach on Wednesday at 10am. Bring the boys and come on out. Stay as little or as long as you wish. Bring a lunch or just snacks. I think it will be a fun day. Hope to see you there!

Hope Tim is doing well!

Ginger




Ginger

Leslie said...

I would love to hear more about the Outdoor Hour Challenge. Will you share some of how it is working for y'all? I'd also love to hear how you use the Comstock book. I've looked it and honestly it intimidates me. I don't really know what to do with it. I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on it.

Love
Leslie

newyearsresolutionexercise said...

I like your blog.I will me back to read more of your post.Please take a look at my blog if you get some time thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails